We want you to grow with us, to develop new skills and gain valuable experience. This will help you in your current position and provide a platform for progression in your career.
Training begins with our excellent Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) programme – making sure your social work career gets the best possible start – and goes all the way to our Aspiring Managers programme, which helps experienced individuals take their next steps in management.
We offer a comprehensive programme of one day courses, short courses and more formal accredited training programmes. Courses included safeguarding, child protection, working with resistant and evasive families, and more. We are also supportive of those who would like to move between disciplines and provide training to make sure their transition is as smooth as possible.
Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE)
This programme provides a bridge from qualifying training to practice. It is based on building a firm foundation of skills and knowledge that can be used as the basis of continual professional development (CPD).
We have a dedicated ASYE manager who supports each newly qualified social worker (NQSW) from student placement, through the recruitment process, onto the ASYE. Each NQSW will have:
- a protected caseload
- enhanced levels of supervision
- an ASYE assessor
- access to training opportunities
- time to shadow other social workers
- support to create a personal development plan
Continuing professional development (CPD)
All social workers must undertake CPD in order to stay registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Their CPD standards say social workers must:
- maintain a continuous, up to date and accurate record of their CPD activities
- demonstrate that their CPD activities are a mixture of learning activities relevant to current or future practice
- seek to ensure that their CPD has contributed to the quality of their practice and service delivery
- seek to ensure that their CPD benefits the service user
- upon request, present a written profile – which must be their own work and supported by evidence – explaining how they met the standards for CPD
We work with many local universities including the University of Essex, Anglia Ruskin as well as the University of East Anglia (UEA). We work with you as professional Social Workers to explore your career pathway and help you in identifying needs and ways of meeting them.
Experienced staff will be supported in their career choice to become a Practice Educator.
We work with the University of East Anglia to place you on a specific training programme that will not only support you in supervising student social workers, but also in assessing our NQSWs.
The programme will support you in supervising, mentoring, and assessing. It provides a means of achieving the ‘advanced social worker' level of the Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF) – the professional social work educator pathway. Candidates will be able to evidence requirements of the Practice Educator Professional Standards (PEPS).
If successful, you will be eligible to join our register of approved practice educators.
Aspiring manager framework
Our aspiring manager framework is designed to support those who wish to take their career in the direction of team management.
The framework lasts 6 months, excluding a pre-start period. It offers:
- a placement opportunity where the aspiring manager is able to shadow and deputise for a team manager other than their own, with feedback provided
- an evaluation by the aspiring manager of someone's practice or learning
- feedback from at least 2 observations of managerial situations, agreed between the aspiring manager and their mentor
- the effective use of development time, in which evidence of progress against the PCF at Advanced Level is provided
- a reflective log, summarising the participant's learning
- successful completion of a research project
- opportunity to progress to a managers' role