The reasons for homelessness are often complex and diverse.
Our review found that the 4 main reasons why people present as homeless are:
- their assured short hold tenancy has ended and not been renewed
- they have been evicted by parents
- they have been evicted by other family members or friends
- there has been a relationship breakdown or domestic abuse
Our strategy shows the actions needed to help prevent homelessness. Our homelessness forum is responsible for these actions.
Important themes in the strategy are:
- homeless prevention and relief
- rough sleepers
- temporary accommodation
- health and well-being
- austerity and economic downturn
- localism and social housing reform
- welfare benefit reform
- 'no second night out'
- making every contact count
- testing for priority need