Street signs and nameplates

Property names

Any property owner can name their property, as long as the name chosen doesn't conflict with an existing property name in their local area.

If your property has a house number you cannot replace the number with a name, but a name can be used as well as the original number.

Requests must be made to us in writing and should contain:

  • the property address
  • 2 suggested names
  • a location plan

When we receive your request we will contact Royal Mail to make sure they have no objections, such as the name being the same or similar to another in the area.

If the Royal Mail does not object, we will contact you and any other interested parties. If the Royal Mail does object, you will be asked to provide alternative names.


: 01375 366 100