Street signs and nameplates

Street naming and nameplates

We are responsible for making sure street nameplates are provided and fitted in suitable positions.

We are also responsible for the repair and maintenance of street nameplates when this becomes necessary, either due to accidental damage, vandalism or normal wear and tear.

In the case of a new development however, the developer is responsible for providing nameplates to our specification.

You can use our online service to report damaged, missing or illegible street nameplates.

Report online

The quickest and easiest way to report a highway problem is online.

You don't need an account, simply zoom-in on the outline of Thurrock and – if the problem hasn't been reported already – make a new report by using the map to show where the problem is. Tell us as much as you can about the problem to help us investigate. You can check back later for progress updates.

Report a highway problem

Street naming

We are responsible for:

  • naming and numbering of new streets, properties and developments
  • making changes to the names and numbers of existing properties
  • putting up and replacing street names and signs

Street nameplates

When a new road is built, the responsibility for providing and replacing street nameplates lies with the developer until the Highway Authority has adopted the road. The responsibility for the maintenance and renewal of nameplates then transfers to us. Street nameplates should be manufactured to our specification.

Signs will normally be fitted by the footpath immediately in front of the back edging kerb. The actual siting and the numbers of signs to be provided will require prior agreement with the local authority.