Street works and projection licensing

Licence for projections over a highway

If you wish to construct a bridge or building over a public highway, or alter such a construction, you must have a licence from the highway authority.

Your highway authority will depend on the type and location of the road.

You may be required by the authority to remove or alter any bridge at your own expense.

You must also obtain the consent of the highway authority if you wish to position along or across a highway any overhead:

  • beam
  • rail
  • pipe
  • cable
  • wire
  • similar apparatus

You are exempt from this requirement if you are:

  • carrying out work authorised by a licence under Chapter I of Part I of the Transport Act 2000     
  • a provider of a universal postal service
  • the operator of an electronic communications code network
  • the operator of a driver information network

Failure to comply with the above requirements may result in a fine.


: 01375 366 100