Street works and projection licensing

Street works licence

You need a licence to dig or tunnel into a street, sewer or drain.

You need permission to put some equipment connected with digging into a public road on the street.

This equipment is often known as 'apparatus'.

You also need a licence to do any of these to apparatus:

  • inspect
  • adjust
  • maintain
  • repair
  • renew
  • move
  • alter
  • remove

You must give at least 7 working days' notice and have a qualified supervisor on site during work. You can do emergency work without a licence but you must us within 2 hours of starting work.

You must:

  • always have a trained person on site
  • minimise inconvenience to people using the street
  • protect the structure of the street
  • guard and light any part of the street which is broken up or obstructed
  • use traffic signs to help traffic if necessary

You must ask the sewer authority before giving notice to us if you want to do work that will affect a public sewer.

You must repair the street and as soon as possible when the work is finished and tell us within 10 working days when it's repaired.

You could be fined up to £5,000 if you break the conditions of a licence.


: 01375 366 100