Teaching in Thurrock
There are many reasons to make Thurrock the number one choice for your next career move.
There is a wide variety of schools in Thurrock, including academy chains such as Harris Federation, urban schools with diverse intake of students, and small village schools with one form intake.
More than 80% of schools in Thurrock are rated 'outstanding' or 'good' by Ofsted:
- Ofsted inspection reports for primary schools in Thurrock
- Ofsted inspection reports for secondary schools in Thurrock
- Ofsted inspection reports for special schools in Thurrock
Our 2 special schools – Beacon Hill Academy, for children with profound learning difficulty, and Treetops School, for socially disadvantaged children – are both outstanding.
Some schools offer early start, recruitment incentives or retention bonuses – check with individual schools for details.
New schools continue to be built, bringing good opportunities for teacher career progression.
You will find excellent continuing professional development (CPD) in Thurrock.
With 3 teaching schools in the borough, we believe newly qualified teachers (NQTs) have access to more training in Thurrock than in neighbouring boroughs. Very few NQTs leave after the first year.
There are 2 established CPD programmes for primary teachers, led by a teaching school and local academy.
Location and transport
We are located on the north shore of the River Thames, with London to the east and Essex to the north and west.
Our transport links are outstanding:
- c2c rail takes you to the centre of London in just 35 minutes, or to the coast at Southend in the same time
- the M25 motorway passes through the east of the borough, giving good access by road to anywhere in the UK
- we are within easy reach of 4 major airports – City (15 miles), Southend (20 miles), Stansted (35 miles) and Gatwick (40 miles)
There are primary and secondary schools within walking distance of all railway stations in Thurrock, with reliable trains and excellent bus connections from Grays station.
Living in Thurrock
Whilst London is directly on our eastern border, Thurrock itself is not as built-up – 70% of the borough is green belt land – and rents are more affordable than those in neighbouring London boroughs.
Our population is diverse, with a mix of different nationalities living across our towns and villages. Massive investment and growth is bringing new jobs and opportunities to the area.
Thurrock can offer you a great quality of life.