The beginnings of the Grays Salvation Army can be traced back to 1884, although they did not receive the 'Blood and Fire' flag until January 1885. The flag was presented by Miss Emma Booth, the second daughter of William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army. The presentation took place in Quarry Hill School, where in the early days Sunday meetings were held.
The Catchpole family formed the first band of the Grays Salvation Army with the two daughters playing tambourines and the father playing triangle. Miss Catchpole and Mr Sorrel were the first couple to have a wedding performed by the Salvation Army in Grays. The wedding took place in New Road Methodist Church and was conducted by Major Smith.
Over the years services have been held in a variety of places including a tent, a small shop in Argent Street, a workshop in Benson Road attached to the works of the late Mr Rons and premises near to the railway line. The first captain of the Salvation Army was a Miss Straw, whilst Miss Straw was Captain, ordinary meetings were held in a room in Bond Street. The first permanent home of the Salvation Army, before the present location was a corrugated iron hall at the bottom of the old high street.
Grays Salvation Army celebrated their Diamond Jubilee in 1945, the service was conducted by Major and Mrs Thomas W Goodwin, whom were born in Grays. Major Goodwin became a Salvation Army Officer in 1922 and Mrs Goodwin followed two years later.
The present Citadel is situated on the corner of Clarence Road and Stanley Road and was opened in?
- Thurrock Gazette, Issue Date: February 17th 1945 and February 24th 1945