We give free advice and information on a wide range of local history, photographic resources, museum collections and object identification. We are unable to give valuations. Enquiry hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 5:30pm
: 01375 413965
We can answer museum enquiries on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only, from 9am to 2pm.
Thurrock borough archive service
We hold pre-March 1936 records relating to Grays Urban District Council, Orsett Rural District Council, Purfleet Urban District Council and Tilbury Urban District Council. We hold post-April 1936 records of Thurrock Urban District Council, and post-April 1974 records of Thurrock Borough Council.
- parish minute books
- council minutes
- general rate books
- account books
- letter books
- war damage accounts
- planning schemes
- many other themes
Archives at the Thameside Complex are available for study by appointment via the museum office or local study librarian at the Thameside Complex.
Acquisitions and disposals
We can acquire objects as gifts or by purchase, from individuals or organisations, on the terms set out in our acquisitions and disposals policy. Loans will normally only be accepted for an agreed period and for a specific purpose, such as an exhibition.
We would not normally dispose of items in the museum collection. Items loaned to the museum will be returned at the end of the agreed period.
Other museum services
The following services are available for a charge. Please ask for details.
- photographic services - we will make copy photographs within two weeks' notice
- talks and lectures - a wide range of talks can be given, daytime or in the evening, at the museum or an outside venue
- heritage rambles - summer rambles are held each year, ideal for families, schools and clubs
- local heritage items - a wide range of history books, postcards and souvenirs is available from the museum shop
- research - we will try to replying to all local history questions, and by limited research work can sometimes be undertaken