Transforming Homes is the name of our programme to refurbish all council homes in Thurrock.
The Transforming Homes programme started in 2013 and is now in its fourth year. More than 6,000 homes across the borough have already benefitted from the programme.
We had originally planned a 5-year programme up to 2018 but, following changes in housing and welfare law, we have since extended this by:
- 1 year for internal improvements
- 3 years for external improvements such as windows, roofing or guttering
This means internal and external for all properties will be completed by 2021.
The programme covers:
- kitchens that are over 20 years old
- bathrooms that are over 30 years old
- boilers that are over 15 years old
- electrics that are over 25 years old
- windows that are either over 30 years or are single-glazed
- roofs that are over 40 or 50 years old, depending on type
We will also aim to maximize energy efficiency and eradicate damp and mould.
Each property will be surveyed to agree an exact plan of works. Surveys will take about 4 weeks to complete for each property, and will consider their individual needs.
Your home will still have working facilities at the end of each day's work, so you will not have to move out while improvements take place. If you have additional support needs then please discuss them with your resident liaison officer.
You can continue reporting repairs while waiting for Transforming Homes works to take place in your area.