Libraries have re-opened for pre-booked computer sessions, returning borrowed items and collecting new requested items, but not browsing shelves. Items borrowed after 15 October have had loan dates extended to 1 May. Go to coronavirus (COVID-19) safety.
What's in your library
We're changing our system for ordering and renewing library items. While we make the change, you won't be able to access our library catalogue online or in any library from Tuesday 6 April to Wednesday 21 April. For more details, go to new library catalogue system.
Libraries have re-opened with rules to help keep you and our staff safe.
|Aveley library, part of Aveley Community Hub||Tuesday 2 March 2021|
|Belhus library, part of South Ockendon Centre||Monday 1 March 2021|
|Blackshots library||Monday 1 March 2021|
|Chadwell library, part of Chadwell Information Centre||Thursday 4 March 2021|
|Corringham library||Monday 1 March 2021|
|East Tilbury library||Tuesday 2 March 2021|
|Grays library||Monday 1 March 2021|
|Tilbury library||Monday 1 March 2021|
|Purfleet library||Remains closed|
|Stanford-le-Hope library||Remains closed|
Check library opening hours before you visit as there may be temporary changes.
Keeping you and our staff safe
When you visit a library:
- our staff will limit the number of people allowed inside
- you must wear a face covering at all times when inside
- a one-way system will be in place inside some library areas
- you must stay 2 metres from other library users and staff at all times
- hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance
- cleaning stations will be available beside our self-service machines, for those who are printing
All returned items will be kept in quarantine for 3 days before being available to borrow again.
You should visit the library alone, if possible. Adults who need special assistance can visit to use a computer with their carer.
What you can do
You will be able to:
- return items on loan
- browse our shelves
- reserve new items online from Thursday 22 April 2021
- collect items that you had reserved online or using our 'order and collect' service
- use public computers and printers for up to 60 minutes
- use study areas, although these are limited
- use public wi-fi
You can book in advance if you wish to use a library computer, either by using the form below or by phoning the library no more than one day in advance.
Use of public computers is free. Payment for the use of printers must be made through the self-service machines.
What you can't do
For now, you will not be able to access:
- photocopiers and fax machines
- DVDs and CDs
- events and activities that aren't online
- the local history area, including maps and microfiche, at Grays library
Items that are due or overdue for return
All items borrowed after 15 October 2020 have had their loan dates extended automatically to 1 May 2021. Normal charges apply for overdue items outside of this period.
If you wish to renew items, you can:
- renew library items online from Thursday 22 April 2021
- use a self-service machine in an opened library
Overdue charges from Saturday 21 March 2020 until the end of August 2020 have been waived. Fines incurred before Saturday 21 March 2020 must be paid.