Thurrock libraries are reopening with new rules to help keep you and our staff safe.
The libraries reopening are:
You should check library opening hours before you visit as there may be temporary changes.
Keeping you and our staff safe
When you visit a library:
- our staff will limit the number of people allowed inside
- a one-way system will be in place inside some library areas
- you must stay 2 metres from other library users and staff at all times
- hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance
- cleaning stations will be available beside our self-service machines
All returned items will be kept in quarantine for 3 days before being available to borrow again.
You should visit the library alone, if possible. Adults who need special assistance can visit with their carer. Adults with children in a family group can enter together but adults must supervise their children at all times, making sure they stay 2 metres from other library users and staff.
What you can do
You will be able to:
- return items on loan
- borrow books and audiobooks
- browse the shelves for up to 30 minutes
- use public computers and printers for up to 45 minutes, if pre-booked
- use wi-fi
- join the library, but only if you're unable to join the library online
You must use the self-service library machines for borrowing and returning items. Our staff will help you do this, if needed. You must also use the machines to pay any charges, using cash only.
To use a public computer, you must phone the library to make a booking no more than one day in advance. Use of public computers is free. Payment for the use of printers must be made through the self-service machines.
What you can't do
For now, you will not be able to access:
- photocopiers and fax machines
- DVDs and CDs
- events and activities
- study areas
- toilets and changing facilities
You will also not be able reserve new items online.
Items that are due or overdue for return
All items originally due for return between Wednesday 1 January 2020 and Friday 31 July 2020 have been renewed automatically and are now due on Tuesday 1 September 2020.
To renew other items, you can:
Any overdue charges since Saturday 21 March 2020 will be waived until the end of August 2020. Fines incurred before Saturday 21 March will need to be paid.
New loans for items with no charge, such as books, will be given a 12-week loan period.