High hedges

High hedge complaints

You or your neighbour might have a high hedge that is causing problems. We will look into your complaint if the hedge is over 2 metres high.

We can help you if you want to make a high hedge complaint, but try talking to your neighbour to solve the problem before contacting us.

You can read how to settle your hedge differences and how to complain to the council on the GOV.UK website.

Our role

We do not mediate or negotiate between you and your neighbour. Our role is to decide whether the hedge is affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property.

You will need to pay a £500 application fee and £250 if you are on benefits or a State Pension. Contact us to make a high hedge complaint.

Environmental protection

: 01375 652 955

: general.enquiries@thurrock.gov.uk