Industrial pollution

Environmental permits

We regulate certain types of industry, such as dry cleaners and concrete batching plants to reduce pollution and improve air quality. These processes are controlled by environmental permits.

If you operate an industrial process that falls under Part 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 you will need to apply for an environmental permit.

There are 3 types of environmental permit:

  • businesses such as dry cleaners or petrol filling stations hold a Part B environmental permit
  • some larger industrial processes are regulated by us as Part A2 process
  • large installations, such as power stations and sewage treatment works are Part A1 processes and regulated by the Environment Agency

You can apply for an environmental permit on the GOV.UK website.

GOV.UK: apply for an environmental permit

You should read the GOV.UK guidance before applying:

You can download our public register of permitted Part B and A2 processes.