News

Unauthorised encampment moved on from South Ockendon in just hours

27 May 2020
Thurrock Council, working with Essex Police, took swift action to move on an authorised encampment which was setting up in South Ockendon yesterday afternoon, Tuesday 26 May.
Leader of Thurrock Council, Cllr Rob Gledhill, said: "Once again our officers have acted quickly and decisively following reports that an unauthorised encampment was being set up.
"This is another example of how the council's robust approach to dealing with unauthorised encampments is benefiting residents by dealing with them immediately before they become a major issue for neighbours.

Unauthorised encampment quickly moved on from Grays Beach car park

22 May 2020
Thurrock Council have once again taken swift action against an unauthorised encampment at Grays Beach car park, Thames Road, which was vacated in just a few hours yesterday afternoon, Thursday 21 May.
Leader of the Council, Cllr Rob Gledhill, said: "We take a robust approach to dealing with unauthorised incursions using all possible means to either prevent them being set up or moving them on as quickly as the law allows.

Man sentenced for removing anti-encampment fencing

26 September 2019
Thurrock Council Leader Cllr Rob Gledhill has welcomed the tough sentence given to a man who removed a fence that the council had erected to prevent illegal encampments being set up.
The man appeared at Basildon Magistrates earlier this month where he was given a 12-month conditional discharge and forced to pay £500 in costs to the council and £105 court costs after he was caught on camera taking down the fencing in Clyde, East Tilbury.

Interim unauthorised encampment injunction granted

4 September 2019
Thurrock Council has successfully been granted an interim injunction to prevent unauthorised encampments in the borough.
The interim injunction will prevent named defendants from setting up an encampment anywhere within Thurrock without lawful permission. It will also prevent ‘persons unknown’ from setting up an encampment on a number of named sites within the borough.
Following the hearing at The Royal Courts of Justice on Tuesday 3 September, the council was granted the injunction, which is enforceable on areas of both public and private land in the borough.

Case for unauthorised encampment injunction taken to the High Court

2 August 2019
Thurrock Council has taken its application for an injunction preventing unauthorised encampments to the High Court.
The appearance on Wednesday, 31 July is the first stage in the process of obtaining an injunction to prevent unauthorised encampments on both public and areas of private land in the borough.
The hearing allows the commencement of service of the papers on 107 named defendants, and each of the sites which are to be protected against unauthorised encampments.

Travellers moved on from Blackshots, Grays

10 July 2019
Essex Police and Thurrock Council have once again taken swift action against illegal incursions in the borough with a large encampment at Blackshots, Grays being evicted within 24 hours.
An incursion of 16 vehicles was reported to the council at approximately 9pm on Monday 8 July when they set up an unauthorised encampment on King George V memorial play field by Blackshots Leisure Centre.

Work continues on deterrents for illegal incursions

15 February 2019
Thurrock Council is carrying out a programme of target hardening on sites which have been used for illegal incursions.
'Target hardening' means strengthening the security of a building or area of land, such as using iron padlocks that are more difficult to cut or break, or erecting additional fencing.
Following each incursion on a council-owned site, the area is reviewed for potential measures that could act as both a deterrent to incursions as well as providing evidence that criminal damage would need to be carried out to gain access to a site.

Travellers moved on from South Ockendon

11 September 2018
A very large traveller incursion of more than 26 vehicles was moved on from land in Danbury Crescent, South Ockendon, less than 36 hours after they arrived. Thurrock Council took swift action, working with partners in Essex Police to ensure they left the site as quickly as possible.
The group were reported to Thurrock Council at 9:20am on Sunday 9 September when they set up an unauthorised encampment on the playing field in South Ockendon. Essex Police used Section 61 powers to move the encampment on ensuring they had left by 4pm on Monday 10 September.

Injunction sought to prohibit illegal traveller incursions

25 June 2018
Thurrock Council is set to apply for a borough-wide injunction prohibiting travellers from setting up illegal encampments on council property including parks, playgrounds and other green spaces.
Cllr Rob Gledhill, Leader of Thurrock Council, said: "I authorised work to start the evidence gathering last year and it was the first thing I asked to be brought forward on taking on this new portfolio for anti-social behaviour in May.