Planning enforcement

Planning breaches

Planning permission is needed for development work such as new buildings, or when changing the use of buildings or land.

Breaches of planning control include:

  • building work, engineering operations and material changes of use without planning permission
  • development not carried out in accordance with approved plans or in accordance with planning conditions or the terms of a legal agreement
  • unauthorised demolition
  • unauthorised work to a listed building, affecting its character or appearance
  • removal of, or works carried out to, protected trees and hedgerows without consent or proper notification
  • display of advertisements that require consent without that consent having been granted
  • land or buildings which are derelict, unkempt or overgrown – 'untidy sites' – and are adversely affecting public amenity

Some work does not need planning permission – check work that needs planning permission and permitted development rights.

Reporting a planning breach

You can report online if you would like our enforcement team to investigate a possible breach of planning rules.

Before reporting, you should first check whether planning permission has been granted. You can search planning application records online.

Next, if you believe on-going development work is taking place without planning permission, you can report it to us using the form below.

Report alleged planning breach

Your details will be kept confidential at all stages of the investigation, and will remain confidential after the investigation has been completed. Your complaint may not be dealt with unless full details are given.

Anonymous or vexatious complaints will not normally be investigated unless they allege serious breaches of planning control that can be verified. We ask that you don't complain anonymously because we like to let you know what is happening.