School nurses support the general health needs of school pupils and their families.
- weigh and measure children as part of the National Child Measurement Programme
- help meet the needs of children and young people with life-long conditions or disabilities
- offer advice and support with physical, emotional and sexual health issues
- offer help and advice on risk-taking behaviour
- make sure children, young people and families know how best to look after their health and use healthcare services
Go to NHS health careers: school nurse to find out more about school nursing and watch a video of school nurses talking about their work.
Every school has a named link school nurse. Your child's school will be able to give you the nurse's contact details.
Healthy Child programme
School nursing for 5 to 19 year-olds, and health visiting for under 5s, are part of our Healthy Child Programme for children, young people and families.
North East London Foundation Trust (NELFT) provides the health visiting and school nursing services in Thurrock. Go to NELFT: 0 to 19 health visiting and school health for more information.