A school travel plan is a document produced by schools that defines good road safety practice for pupils travelling to and from school. School travel plans play an important part in encouraging pupils to walk, cycle and use public transport.
A school travel plan should include:
- a description of the school and its environment
- a summary of established good road safety practice and initiatives – specifically pedestrian training, cycling skills, road safety in the curriculum
- a summary of any road safety or schools transport problems
- proposed initiatives with objectives and targets, eg a walking bus or car sharing scheme
- a baseline survey
- a clear achievable plan of action
- plans for monitoring and review
Plans are developed by schools in Thurrock in partnership with pupils, teachers, parents, carers, school governors and local residents. The plan should demonstrate the school's commitment to environment and community concerns and to the safety and welfare of pupils.
It is important for all schools to monitor travel behaviour and to review and update plans each year.
School travel plans are now completed online at Modeshift Stars.