We follow British Film Commission coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance. For each filming request, we will need a full risk assessment of all COVID-19 specific risks associated with the proposed activity at each location. All cast, crew and contractors on location must be aware of their responsibilities within the risk assessment.
Filming in Thurrock
Grangewaters Outdoor Education Centre is an all-year facility set in rich countryside just to the east of London. Covering more than 70 acres, the site features natural woodland, open grassland, 2 lakes, activity areas and accommodation.
How to get there
Grangewaters is located near South Ockendon, in the west of the borough – see the map below. It is:
- a 5-minute drive from M25/A13
- a 10-minute drive from intu Lakeside, with shopping, restaurants and leisure facilities
- a 40-minute walk from Ockendon rail station on the c2c line between London Fenchurch Street and Southend, via Upminster and Chafford Hundred
Why Grangewaters is a great film location
- lakes, woodlands and paths – the entire site – available for hire, with filming permitted in all areas
- no adopted highways within the site, which means there's no legislation to worry about when filming on roads
- a single road into the site via a gated entrance, making it very secure and removing the risk of trespassers
- a large dedicated car park where vehicles can be stored overnight
- 24-hour CCTV monitoring
- no public access
- no modern structures within view, which means the site can be used for any time period
- catering provision that can be requested in advance on site, and facilities for managing your own catering
- bunk-bed accommodation on site
- a programme of activities that are accessible for all, along with as a range of specialised equipment
- trained specialists on site to conduct activities or provide local knowledge
- annual inspections by the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) to make sure operating procedures and risk management are of the highest standard
Grangewaters can be used year-round for filming and activities. The site is highly adaptable and we are confident that any filming request can be accommodated here. There is also the rare opportunity to be able to capture unusual angles by filming from the activity infrastructure – for example, from the zip wire or a sailing boat on the lake.
Contact us if you are interested in using this unique site for your film location.
Feature – 2 large lakes
Activities that take place on these lakes include canoeing, sailing, raft building, stand-up paddleboarding and open water swimming. Bays are located around each lake, providing access the waterside – for example, to demonstrate fishing.
Feature – woodland and pathways
Pathways lead around the outskirts of the lake and are made of both concrete and grass. There are no modern features along the pathways, so they can be used when presenting any time period. The woodlands are regularly maintained and the pathways are clearly defined.
Feature – adventure activities
An extensive range of activities is on offer at Grangewaters, from abseiling to the 200m zip line. You can film archery, bushcraft, climbing, kayaking, mountain biking... to name but a few.
Feature – open fields
The open fields within Grangewaters are self-maintained by the team on site. They are versatile in nature, with ample room for any type of filming. There are some trees dotted about the fields, and the main lake to one side.
Feature – lodge accommodation
The residential accommodation is located within woodland and arranged in 2 villages, each with a dining cabin and log cabins for sleeping. All accommodation is heated and insulated for year-round use.
Feature – picnic areas
Picnic and relaxation areas are located around the site. These are quite large and versatile, with various types of seating that includes logs, benches and a fire pit.
On the map
Grangewaters Outdoor Education Centre, Buckles Lane, South Ockendon, RM15 6RS