Freedom of information response

Children's Social Workers

Publication date: 
Monday 8 April 2019

1. How many Ex-service personnel have benefited as a result of the Veterans Charter?
2. What actions are being taken by Thurrock Borough Council to ensure all aspects of the Charter are regularly reviewed and complied with?
3. What interaction is there between Thurrock Borough Council and the parties that are mentioned in the Charter?


1. This data is not available

2. The Veterans’ Charter has been promoted internally to raise awareness with services so they can consider appropriate support. Specific advice from housing for example is advertised on the council website. The Veteran’s Charter has been discussed with partners within the service and heritage sector and SSAFA are hosted in the Civic Offices once a week to discuss any issues that veterans may be experiencing whether related to council services or not. The charter is promoted in the community via the website and through postcards at targeted events. The Veterans’ Gateway, a national service with links to a range of support, is promoted by the council both on the website and in the foyer of the Civic Offices.

3. Thurrock is a member of the Essex Community and Military Partnership which is attended by the Armed Forces. This group specifically oversees the Essex Community Covenant (of which Thurrock is a signatory), the issues discussed cover serving personnel, veterans’ and their families. The Partnership includes a number of agencies with experience in supporting the armed forces community and provides a supportive network to learn of best practice and discuss relevant issues.

SSAFA attend the Civic Offices once a month to talk to veterans and to provide case work support when necessary.

FEVA – In regular contact through partnership work

RBL – In regular contact with local branches

Thurrock Burma Star Association no longer meets but we are in regular contact with former members and support the annual VJ service

Thurrock Council – ongoing engagement with services

Further information can be found via our website:

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at . Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 8873