Freedom of information response

Children's Social Workers by Nationality

Publication date: 
Friday 5 July 2019

1. The total number of Children’s Social Workers employed permanently by the Council as of the 29th April 2019?
2. A breakdown by Nationality of the Children’s Social Workers employed permanently i.e. United Kingdom 100, Australian 36 etc.?
3. The total number of Children’s Social Workers currently employed permanently for which the local authority have sponsored their visa (certificate of sponsorship) to work for the local authority?


1.    89

2.    Please see below:

African = 24

Bangladeshi =  Fewer than 5

British = 37

Caribbean = 6

European = Fewer than 5

Irish = Fewer than 5

Not Stated = 9

Other Black = Fewer than 5

Other White = 6

White/Black African = Fewer than 5

3.    Fewer than 5

We are unable to provide an exact number for questions 2 & 3 above as:

·         There is a low number involved.

·         The release of this information could identify individuals which would constitute their personal data under the Data Protection Act

·         There is no prior expectation on the part of these individuals that their personal information would be published in the wider public domain under the FOI Act

·         Personal data of any other person is exempt under section 40 (2) of the Data Protection Act.

However in the interests of transparency we are able to provide this information to you categorised as fewer than 5 to give you an indication of the figures

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at . Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 9095