Freedom of information response

Council Visitors

Publication date: 
Monday 7 October 2019

Can you please provide me with any electronic copies of any policies, procedure or guidance issued to staff in relation to visitors, guests or contractors who access your buildings?
For example
Do you request all visitors attending for meeting, interviews or other wear a visitor badge and sign-in at reception and do you record details of this?
How do you manage contractors or suppliers who require access to your building?
Do you have access control on areas of your building where services process or handle very sensitive personal data, how do you manage access control?
Do you have a retention period for visitor records?


1. All visitors attending the building for meetings etc. are required to sign in on arrival and issued a numbered visitor badge to wear whilst in the building. The sign-in sheets record the date, visitor’s name, time in, badge number, who visiting, time out and signature. These are kept for 6 months.

2. All contractors report to security office, they receive induction and sign in on contractor sheets, they are provided with an access control card to allow access throughout the building.  The location of works are listed.  Permit to work is issued if required, once company RAMS have been received and checked by a member of Facilities.   If contractor is lone working then they must adhere to their company RAMS and also report to security on a regular basis.  The card is handed back to security to de-activate after use on a daily basis.

3. We have an access control system in place in staff areas throughout the building, this is monitored by security.  There is a clear desk policy in place and all confidential papers are locked in cabinets at the end of the working day.

4. We do not currently specify visitor records within the document retention schedule but as this information is of a routine business nature it should be destroyed when the business need for retaining the information has expired.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address.  Your request will be considered by the Strategic Lead for Information Management who will update you with the outcome of the review. 

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), details of this organisation can be found at . Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council.

Request reference:
FOI 9358