Freedom of information response

Covid-19 - support for businesses

Publication date: 
Tuesday 28 April 2020

1. The government have introduced a package of measures entitled COVID-19: support for businesses Included within the measures are:

Recipients of Small Business rates Relief – a £10,000 grant for all recipients of SBRR

Cash grants for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses - A £25,000 grant will be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses operating from smaller premises, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.

Enquiries on eligibility for, or provision of, the reliefs and grants should be directed to the relevant local authority.

In accordance with the above please advise whether the grant will be issued automatically and the mechanism through which it will be delivered.

2. Properties that have closed temporarily as a result of Covid19 quarantine measures. For properties that don’t fall in the above criteria such as offices and factories, please advise whether you will grant empty rates relief on properties that have closed or consider s44a applications on partially occupied buildings


1. In order to enable swift payment qualifying businesses are requested to provide information via our website. Once information is received a payment is made via bacs by faster payment.

2. We will only grant empty property rate where the property meets the legislative requirements. S44a applications would be considered again if they meet the legislative requirements and satisfy the criteria. These are all dealt with on a case by case basis.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information. Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 9941