Freedom of information response

Expenditure on refreshments

Publication date: 
Monday 7 October 2019

My FOI request concerns council expenditure on refreshments between 1st January 2018 and 31st December 2018.

Please can you tell me how much was spent on tea and biscuits at council
committee meetings over the course of the year?
What type of biscuits and brand of tea were supplied?

If the information is held centrally and will not exceed cost requirements, could you please provide me with the equivalent figures for departmental meetings too?


The council does not provide any tea, biscuits or any kind of refreshment for any standard committee meetings throughout the year. This includes the 2018 year.

The Mayor provides a buffet at every council meeting (roughly ten a year) but this is paid for by his/her civic allowance and therefore is not within the budget of the council per se and is the personal choice of the Mayor, who arranges and purchases it.

The Council does pay for a more significant buffet at Annual Council each year (May 2018 in this instance) and this is covered by Member Services budget.   In 2018 the cost of this was £795.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at . Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 9370