Freedom of information response

Housing allocation and the provision of medical advice

Publication date: 
Thursday 21 November 2019

I would like some information related to housing allocation and the provision of medical advice

Does the council use any private company to provide medical advice or reports relating to council housing or housing benefit claims?

If yes, please provide the name of the company/companies

If yes, please also provide the annual cost of outsourced medical advice

If yes, please also provide the year in which any current contracts relating to outsourced medical advice began, and the year in which they will end.

I include in .1 any medical advice used by housing officers to determine whether a person is eligible for council housing, whether a person ought to be moved, or any other decision where a person's medical issues are deemed relevant.


1. Yes Housing does but Housing Benefits do not use Private Medical Company to provide advice.

2. The housing department use Now Medical and they have a stage 2 exemption, meaning that the council are free to use this supplier on a year by year basis.

3. The council publish monthly expenditure, the list of suppliers and contracts is also in the public domain, see links below:

List of payments to suppliers:

List of registered suppliers:

4. Please see following web link which provides contract information:  

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address. Your request will be considered by the Strategic Lead for Information Management who will update you with the outcome of the review. 

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), details of this organisation can be found at Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council.

Request reference:
FOI 9529