Freedom of information response

Pregnant women accommodation

Publication date: 
Monday 20 January 2020

1. How many pregnant women have registered with your local authority as being in need of temporary or supported accommodation in the last five calendar years (2015,2016,2017,2018,2019)? Please break this down by year and say how long they waited for accommodation and where they were placed (eg hostel/ B&B/ emergency shelter etc)

2. Do you ask for proof of pregnancy and, if so, how? Please provide any information you have on this.


In issuing our response the Council has applied S21 of the Freedom of Information Act.

This means that the information you have requested is already available elsewhere so is therefore exempt from disclosure. 

Information pertaining to Pregnant women in temporary accommodation for years 2015,2016,2017 is in the public domain and can be found here:

  Registered month
  2018     2019   Grand Total
Accommodation Type Apr May Jun Jul Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Jul Aug Sep Oct Dec  
Hostel                     1 4 1   6
Nightly lets (Shared/self-contained temporary accommodation 2 1 2 4 1 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 21
Number placed in temporary accommodation 2 1 2 4 2 1 2 1 1 2 1 5 2 1 27

The average waiting time for being placed into temporary accommodation is 106 days or 2.5 months.

Yes, pregnancy is confirmed on supply of maternity certificate MATB1 form. This cannot be supplied as this is confidential information and is part of exclusion as the client can be identified.  

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

Request reference:
FOI 9665