Freedom of information response

Prices paid by Local Authorities for Children’s Homes services in 2018/19.

Publication date: 
Tuesday 10 December 2019

1. . For each placement made to a private or voluntary provider’s children’s home in the year 1st April 2018 to 1st April 2019, please provide the actual price per week (excluding VAT) paid for the placement to the provider by your local authority.

Please note:

1  a. If the price per week changed during the year, please provide all weekly prices that applied during the year.

b. This is a request for the weekly price only, and NOT for the total placement cost.

c. Please do NOT identify the child or young person or the name of the provider.

d. Please provide the weekly price EXCLUDING any VAT.

e. Please do not include short break placements.

f. We would greatly appreciate if the information could be provided in the format of the table below, ideally in an Excel spreadsheet.

2. If your authority operates its own children’s homes, please provide the actual weekly cost of a place in your own homes for the same year (2018/19).


1. In issuing our response the Council has applied S43 of the Freedom of Information Act.  Information is exempt information if its disclosure under this Act would, or would be likely to prejudice the commercial interests of any person (including the public authority holding it).  A commercial interest relates to a person’s ability to successfully participate in a commercial activity, i.e. the purchase and the sale of goods or services. Details of the Council’s spending can be found on:

1a) See Question 1 above

b) See Question 1 above

c) See Question 1 above

d) See Question 1 above

e) See Question 1 above

f) See Question 1 above

2) Thurrock Council does not have any residential children’s homes.

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address.  Your request will be considered by the Strategic Lead for Information Management who will update you with the outcome of the review. 

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), details of this organisation can be found at . Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council

Request reference:
FOI 9566