Freedom of information response

Rubbish removal

Publication date: 
Thursday 6 June 2019

Rubbish removal
1) Does your authority offer a large item rubbish removal service to residents and/or businesses in your area?

If yes, please provide details and also answer the following questions:

If no then no further questions apply and to avoid any unnecessary time spent on dealing with this request a simple “no, we don’t” reply by email will be acceptable.

2) Is the service free of charge? If chargeable please provide information on charges.

3) Please confirm the cost of removal of these three examples:
I. A mattress
II. A fridge
III. A sofa

4) Are any residents entitled to free or reduced charges?

5) Who operates the service?

6) What happens to the items? i.e. does anything get re-used or offered to any organisations.

7) If figures are kept, how many times in the past year was the service used and what revenue did this bring in?

8) If figures are kept, how much did it cost in the past year to operate this rubbish removal service?



Yes, (for Households only) please see following web link which provides further information:


Yes there is a charge. £30 for 3 items and £8 for each additional item after that





5) Thurrock Council’s Clean and Green Team


No, items are taken for disposal to landfill


There were 1497 allocated slots for collections which were all used.  The income generated was approx. £46,780k.


Information not held

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at . Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 9006