Freedom of information response

Scheme to assist with the cost of renting a property

Publication date: 
Tuesday 26 November 2019

1. Does your local authority have a scheme to assist people with the costs of renting a property, for example with a tenancy deposit?

2. Does the scheme provide:

a. cash

b. a loan

c. a guarantee or bond

3. What is the budget for the scheme for the financial year 2019/20?

4. What are the eligibility criteria for the scheme/who can apply?

5. How can people apply for help from the scheme? (If via the website, can you please provide the URL?)


1. Discretionary Housing Payments are available and administered by the Benefits department.  Our current policy allows applications for help for Rent Deposits and moving costs.

2. Payments are either made by BACS to the customer or in some cases to the landlord.

3. The DHP fund for 2019/20 was £507,310, but this fund is not solely for the use on rent deposits or moving costs.  This fund is for all those who require discretionary help with meeting their rental ability – in addition to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs entitlement.

4. To receive discretionary Housing Payment the minimum requirement is that applicants are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing element.

5. Applications are made online via the following web link:

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes.  However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information.  Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your FOI request you can pursue an Internal Review by contacting us using the above email address.  Your request will be considered by the Strategic Lead for Information Management who will update you with the outcome of the review. 

If you remain unhappy following the outcome of your Internal Review you may wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), details of this organisation can be found at . Please be advised that the ICO will not consider your case until they have confirmation that you have already been through the Internal Review stage with the council.

Request reference:
FOI 9548