Freedom of information response

Use of bailiffs in 2018/19

Publication date: 
Thursday 16 May 2019

1) The number of times between 1st April 2018 and 31st March 2019, or the nearest available twelve month period, that private bailiffs/enforcement agents have been instructed to enforce debts to the local authority relating to each of the following;

a. Council tax
b. Parking
c. Housing Benefit overpayments
d. Business Rates
e. Commercial Rents
f. Any other debt types, including any other overpayments

By “private bailiffs/enforcement agents” we mean those who are self-employed or who work for private companies, including as high court enforcement officers.  Please include cases where local authority employees have visited a property to enforce a warrant of control.

2) Do you signpost residents to one or more free debt advice agencies as part of your collections process?  (Yes/No) If so, which charities?

3) Have you adopted the Standard Financial Statement (or Common Financial Statement) as a tool for objectively assessing income and expenditure as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)

4) Do you have a formal policy in place for dealing with residents in vulnerable circumstances as part of your collections process? (Yes/No)

5) Do you currently have a policy of exempting recipients of Council Tax Support from the use of bailiff action? (Yes/No)

6) Have you adopted the Citizens Advice/Local Government Association Council Tax Protocol? (Yes/No)



a. 4705

b. 2260

c. Not Available

d. 110

e. 0

f. Not Available

2)  Yes, Citizens Advice, National Debt Line, StepChange, Christians Against Poverty CAP, MIND

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) No

6) No

You are free to use any information supplied to you for your own use, including non-commercial research purposes. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner.

Where the copyright is owned by Thurrock Council, you must apply to the Council to re-use the information. Please email if you wish to re-use the information you have been supplied. For information where the copyright is owned by another person or organisation, you must apply to the copyright owner to obtain their permission.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which the council have managed your request you can pursue an independent review by contacting us at the above address and your request will be considered by the Information Manager who will update you with the outcome. 

You may also wish to refer your case to the Information Commissioner’s Office, details of this organisation can be found at Alternatively they can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Request reference:
FOI 8993