Food complaints

Food complaints

If you find a foreign body or object in your food it could be glass, plastic, metal, insects or something else.

What you can do

You can take the food back to the store where you bought it and ask for a refund. You can also report the issue to the supplier or manufacturer for them to investigate, or report this food problem to us.

Food Team

: 01375 652 955


When you report a food complaint, please follow these steps:

  • try not to touch the foreign body or food
  • keep the food in its container
  • provide the name and address of where you bought the food
  • keep all labels, wrappings and your receipt
  • keep the food wrapped and put in the refrigerator or freezer
  • contact us, give your details and we will contact you as soon as possible

Illness caused by food

If you believe food has made you ill, you should also contact your GP as soon as possible and tell him or her you think your illness is caused by food.

You should also contact us. You may need to give us a faecal sample - we can give you a pot and form to fill in.

If you work in a food business, you should not handle open food for at least 48 hours after your last bout of sickness or diarrhoea. You should also contact the food team to discuss when it would be safe for you to return to handling food. Your employer may choose to move you to different duties.

What we can do

If the food was purchased in Thurrock, we will investigate for you. This could mean our officers giving advice to a food business or it could lead to legal proceedings.

What we don't do

We can’t arrange compensation for you. This is a civil matter between you (the complainant) and the shop, supplier or food manufacturer. If you want to complain about food bought outside Thurrock, then you should contact the local authority where the shop or food outlet is located.