We want Grays to be an exciting place for people to live, work, visit and learn, with lots of high quality cafés, bars, restaurants, shops, markets, cultural attractions, entertainment and events.
We're working to:
- reconnect the High Street across the railway line and down to the River Thames
- make streets and public spaces safe, attractive and welcoming
- make it easy and safe to walk or cycle around the town centre
- get more people using local businesses
- support high quality new development
- encourage activities for people to enjoy throughout the day and the evening
What's happening now
We've started work on the:
High Street underpass – designing new public spaces and other developments to go either side of a pedestrian underpass that's planned to go under the railway line
town centre design guide – a document that will set high standards for the future development of streets and spaces around the town centre
Our design team is looking at the town as it is now, along with new opportunities for improvement. They will be asking for the views of local residents, community groups and businesses.
Details of how you can have your say will be published on these web pages.
Find out other ways you can get involved.
Our Grays town centre framework document, published in 2017, sets out a range of projects that could help improve the town.
The High Street underpass and the new design guide are the first of these projects to be started. Other improvement work will begin when funding and developers have been confirmed.