In-year admissions

Transferring schools

Talk about any concerns with your child's headteacher before applying for a transfer. There are many support agencies that can help. The headteacher of your child's school will know about the help that's available.

Children with a statement of special educational needs

Talk to your child’s headteacher and SEN (special educational needs) case officer before applying for school transfer:

  • if your child is getting extra support through a special needs statement
  • if your child is getting a formal assessment of special educational needs

Changing schools could delay completing the assessment or setting up support. Some types of support may not be at the new school.

Transferring during key stage 4 (years 10 or 11)

If your child is in year 10 or year 11, think very carefully before moving them. The key stage 4 curriculum differs in every secondary school. A different school might not be able to offer all the same subjects, such as GCSEs and BTECs, your child has studied and completed coursework. Even if they do, they may use different examination boards or courses of study.

Speak to the school you are interested in about choices and exams before asking to transfer.

Help with home to school travel

If you move your child from one school to another you might not get home to school transport. Contact us to find out if you are eligible.

Education Awards and Benefits
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL


Remember: It is generally in a child’s best interests to stay at the same school.