If somebody else's child is living with you for 28 days or more and you're not a close relative, you could get support. We're running a free information session from 10am to midday on Tuesday 27 February, at Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL – book your place by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 652 1256.
If you are thinking about private fostering you must let us know before you start. We will need the following details when you contact us:
- the name, sex, date and place of birth, ethnic and cultural background of the child
- the name and address of the proposed foster parents and any previous addresses within the last 5 years
- the purpose and intended length of the fostering arrangement
- the name and address of the child's parents or anyone else who has parental responsibility for the child
- the name and address of any other person involved in making the fostering arrangement
- the date that fostering is to begin or when it began
You also need to let us know once the child moves on and is no longer living with you.
We are here to offer help and advice to private fostering carers in Thurrock. For example:
- you may be able to support services and, in exceptional circumstances, financial assistance for children that are seen to be 'in need'
- you may be able to get involved in support networks that we already have established for foster carers
- you may be entitled to social security benefits, such as Child Benefit, Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance, in which case we will put you in touch with your local benefits agency
: 0800 652 1256 (freephone)