Public access to private land


The government provides a single application form that allows for both:

  • a statement or declaration under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 for presumed dedication of highways purposes
  • a landowner statement under Section 15A(1) of the Commons Act 2006 for town and village green purposes

Guidance notes are also provided.

Go to GOV.UK: landowner statements, highways statements and declarations form.

You must send the completed form to us if your land is within Thurrock. If part of the land is within the borders of other authorities, you should send a separate application to each of them.

When we receive your form we will:

  • send you an acknowledgement
  • publish a notice of the deposit on this website
  • post site notices on the land affected
  • update our legal register of deposits

A fee is payable. We will let you know the total cost before processing your application.

Forms should be sent to:

Public rights of way
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL