Buying your council home

Service charges

As a homeowner, you are responsible for service charges to us. These cover the cost of maintaining the communal parts of the block and estate, including caretaking, lighting and repairs. You will also pay your share of larger bills for 'major works', for example a new roof.

Together with your offer letter, you will receive:

  • an estimated service charge bill
  • details of any planned major works

This will give you an indication of upcoming charges. This is only an estimate and service charges change from year to year. Major works may not happen very frequently but can cause significant bills.