The government is providing a £150 one-off energy bills rebate for households in bands A to D, registered for council tax at 1 April 2022, except where the property is empty or a second home. For information on when and how you will receive the rebate, go to £150 energy bill rebate. To download the government's leaflet, go to your council tax bill explained.
Council tax discounts
You can get a council tax discount if you are disabled.
You can also get a council tax discount if you have a disabled adult or child living permanently with you.
Your property must have either:
- a room for the disabled person other than a kitchen, bathroom or lavatory
- a second kitchen or bathroom for the disabled person
- extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair
How we reduce your council tax
We treat your property as if it is in the council tax band right below its actual band. For example:
- a band B property is treated as a band A
- a band A property is reduced by one sixth in the base charge
Disability and progressive conditions
To get council tax reduction, the disability must be a permanent and substantial:
- congenital deformity
- other reason
Some conditions can become substantial as they advance. It is better to apply when the condition first starts. We can back-date your reduction if you apply late.
Rooms for use by a disabled person
There must be a room in the property used by the disabled person either:
- for treatment
- for therapy
- to store equipment
You cannot claim for having:
- converted a downstairs room to a bedroom for a person who cannot climb stairs
- converted bedsitting room for a person who cannot climb stairs
- converted an upstairs room that was a bedroom to a bedsitting room for bedridden person
- a room with extra facilities such as extra heating or a hearing loop
- a commode for a person who finds it difficult to get to a lavatory
The bathrooms and kitchens don’t have to be solely for use by a disabled person. A shower room is treated as a bathroom. A second lavatory does not count as a bathroom.
Apply for this discount
You can apply for this discount using the form below