Working for the council

Criminal record checks

Applicants who are offered certain jobs - for example, working with children or vulnerable adults - will require a criminal record check:

  • under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, a person with a criminal record does not have to tell us about any 'spent' convictions, unless the job they are applying for is exempted under the act
  • some positions are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 because of the type of work that will be carried out - these positions will need a check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), and we will tell you in the advert if a check is needed
  • if a check is needed, you will need to tell the us when you apply about the full details and dates of any criminal convictions, bind overs or cautions, including any that may be spent, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
  • you can send this information to the recruitment team
  • failure to inform us of any convictions, bind overs or cautions could cause you not to be employed or, if we find this out after you have started work, you could be dismissed
  • having a criminal conviction does not mean that you cannot be appointed to the post - we will consider your case against our recruitment policy and advise you as soon as possible if your conviction has any bearing on you being employed
Recruitment team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL


Disclosure and Barring Certificate

The DBS will send a certificate to you showing the details of the check. We will not be sent a copy. You must provide us with the original copy when you receive it so that you can start work.