It is our duty to make sure anyone can use our services regardless of age, gender, disability, race, sexual orientation and religion or belief.
Our single equality scheme shows how we make sure our services are fair and equal. The scheme is reviewed each year in consultation with community groups and council staff. It helps us to:
- work with communities to make sure they are involved in decision-making
- oppose all forms of prejudice and discrimination
- provide equal access to jobs at all levels of the council
- make sure our employment policies and practices do not discriminate
- promote diversity and tolerance
- prevent harassment and victimisation of residents, service users and employees
Our equality framework explains how we do what is expected in the scheme.
We report each year on progress against our equality duties. The latest report is below.