Sheltered housing

About sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is a type of 'housing with support', which you can buy or rent. It lets older people live independently with security and peace of mind – read more at Age UK: sheltered housing.

In our facilities you will have your own property and privacy with the support of a sheltered housing officer.

Each property has an alarm system that you can use to speak to the sheltered housing officer. You can call Careline when the sheltered housing officer is not on duty. This provides a 24-hour emergency service.

All complexes have a communal hall where daily activities take place and you can meet others.

Getting sheltered housing

To qualify for sheltered housing you should:

  • be 55 years-old or older, or 50 to 54 years-old and getting a high-level personal independent payment (PIP) – married couples will qualify when 1 partner has reached the qualifying age
  • need housing-related support
  • be single or a couple without children

You must use our online council housing application service to apply for sheltered housing.

Extra care

Extra-care housing offers more support than sheltered housing, but still allows you to live independently.