Traffic signals, traffic lights or stoplights are used at road junctions, pedestrian crossings and other locations to control the flow of traffic.
Traffic signals in the borough include:
- signal-controlled junctions
- pedestrian crossings – Puffin or Pelican signals
- cycle crossings – Toucan signals
The most critical signals are linked to an Urban Traffic Control computer system based in Chelmsford.
Signal maintenance is operational 24 hours a day. When a fault is reported or detected by the controller, action is taken to fix the fault. Urgent faults are acted upon within 4 hours and non-urgent 8 hours.
We receive many requests for new crossings. When assessing locations we consider:
- the number of people crossing
- the amount of traffic
- numbers of injures on the road near the site
- nearby features such as schools and shops
: 01375 366 100