Unauthorised traveller encampments

How to report an unauthorised encampment

Before making a new report, please check our list of encampments that have already been reported.

If you see someone in the act of using force to enter land or a building, phone 999.

Phone 101 – the police non-emergency number – if you see an unauthorised encampment already on land in Thurrock.

You can also report encampments in Thurrock through the ECTU: report an unauthorised encampment web pages, below.

Report an unauthorised traveller encampment


Police can visit an unauthorised encampment and, in some circumstances, use emergency powers – called 'Section 61 powers' – to direct them to leave. The senior officer who visits the encampment will decide what action should be taken.

If you suffer anti-social behaviour of any sort, you should call the police.

Go to Police action against unauthorised encampments.

Encampments on council land

Unauthorised encampments on council land are dealt with by the Essex Countywide Traveller Unit (ECTU). ECTU can apply to court for an eviction order. Some encampments only stay for a few days and leave before the full procedure is completed.

The process can take 7 to 10 working-days if court orders are needed.

Go to ECTU action against unauthorised encampments.

Encampments on private land

An unauthorised encampment on private land is subject to the laws of trespass, which is a civil matter. It is for the landowner to take action, which can include calling on private bailiffs to repossess the land by use of reasonable force.

Private landowners are also responsible for the removal of waste from their land.