Unauthorised encampments on council land are dealt with by the Essex Countywide Traveller Unit (ECTU). You can report encampments in Thurrock through the ECTU: report an unauthorised encampment web pages.
ECTU can apply to court for an eviction order. Some encampments only stay for a few days and leave before the full procedure is completed.
The length of stay depends on each individual case. The eviction process can take 7 to 10 working days if court orders are needed.
ECTU has a target process based on working days. This may start immediately or from the first working day after receiving a report.
- visit the site to confirm location, numbers and intention
- find out who owns the land
- if the land is not privately-owned then get physical proof of ownership
- carry out assessments and welfare checks
- issue a direction to leave, normally with 24 hours to comply
- if the direction is not followed then apply to court
Days 4 and 5:
- serve a summons, which can take 2 working days, or sometimes 1 day in exceptional circumstances
- serve a court order with notice of enforcement after 24 hours – the encampment must leave upon service of the order
- call in bailiffs if the encampment has still not moved