Animal licensing

Boarding for cats or dogs

You need a licence for providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs.

An animal boarding establishment is defined as a business providing accommodation for other people's cats or dogs. This includes 'home boarding', where you look after someone's cat or dog in your home as part of a business.

There are exceptions to this, if the keeping of the animals are not the main activity of the premises – for example, a vet's or dog grooming business.

Apply for a licence

The form below can be used to apply for different types of animal welfare licences and registration.

To apply for an animal boarding establishment licence, you must complete sections 1, 4 and 7.

The completed form and relevant documents can be emailed to us at the address below.


For details of current fees, go to our animal licensing fees page.

Licence conditions

For government guidance on applying and the conditions you'll need to meet, go to GOV.UK: Boarding for cats or dogs licence.

To read the government's guidance for licensing authorities, go to GOV.UK: Animal activities licensing – statutory guidance for local authorities.

Check a licence

You can check online whether an animal boarding establishment is licensed in Thurrock.

Search licensing records

Making a complaint

Contact us if you have reason to complain about an animal boarding establishment that we license. You should tell us:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the premises you wish to complain about
  • details of your complaint or problem

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence. Your details will not be released but are required for us to contact you for further information.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.