Animal licensing

Hiring out horses

You need a licence to run a riding establishment.

A riding establishment is defined as a business that hires out horses or ponies for riding, or a riding school.

Apply for a licence

The form below can be used to apply for different types of animal welfare licences and registration.

To apply for a riding establishment licence, you must complete sections 1, 5 and 7.

The completed form and relevant documents can be emailed to us at the address below.


For details of current fees, go to our animal licensing fees page.

Licence conditions

For government guidance on applying and the conditions you'll need to meet, go to GOV.UK: Hire out horses licence.

To read the government's guidance for licensing authorities, go to GOV.UK: Animal activities licensing – statutory guidance for local authorities.

Check a licence

You can check online whether a riding establishment is licensed in Thurrock.

Search licensing records

Making a complaint

Contact us if you have reason to complain about a riding establishment that we license. You should tell us:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the premises you wish to complain about
  • details of your complaint or problem

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence. Your details will not be released but are required for us to contact you for further information.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.