Charity collection licensing

House-to-house collection permit

If you are going door-to-door collecting money or goods for charitable purposes, you will need a permit from us. This includes where you are collecting goods for resale, with the intention of making a charitable donation from the proceeds. It applies to collections from either houses or businesses.

In issuing house-to-house collection permits, we will try to make sure that not more than one collection takes place in a particular location in Thurrock on any given day.

Some charities hold an national exemption order from the Cabinet Office. Go to GOV.UK: National exemption order scheme

Apply for a permit

You must apply for a licence at least 1 month prior to the first collection date. Go to GOV.UK: Application for a house-to-house collection licence.


There is no fee payable for a house-to-house collection permit.

Permit conditions

All collections carried out in Thurrock should be in accordance with the following guidance:

After you have carried out a collection

You must submit a return of what has been collected and how much has been passed to the charity after any deductions. Go to GOV.UK: Supply a return for a house-to-house collection.

You must do this even if no money is collected.

Failure to make a return may result in future collections being refused.

Check to see if a collection is authorised

You can check a house-to-house collection permit is authorised within Thurrock.

Making a complaint

If you have reason to complain about a house-to-house collection taking place in Thurrock, submit your complaint to the licensing team

In order for us to deal with you complaint effectively you will need to supply us with:

  • your name and phone number
  • details of the date, time and place of the street collection you wish to complain about
  • details of what your complaint or problem is, including descriptions of collectors and charities that were being collected for

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence and your details will not be released, but are required for us to contact you for further details.

Licensing team
Thurrock Council, Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL.