Dropped kerbs

Use of dropped kerbs

A 'dropped kerb' is where the level of a pedestrian footway, cycle track or verge is lowered to the level of the carriageway – that is, the part of the road used by vehicles.

Dropped kerbs are used where vehicles cross a footway, cycle track or verge to access off-road parking, such as at a private property. We also use dropped kerbs to help pedestrians cross roads, or to help cyclists enter or leave the carriageway. We may take enforcement action where parked vehicles obstruct a dropped kerb.

It is illegal to cross a footway or grass verge in a vehicle to get to your property unless a proper crossing is in place. Creating a proper crossing involves installing a dropped kerb and strengthening the footway so a vehicle will not damage it.

Applying for a dropped kerb

If you wish to have a dropped kerb and crossing installed for your property, you must apply to us for highways authority permission. You may need to apply separately for planning permission and other types of permission, depending on the type and location of the crossing or the property.

Works must be carried out by one of our approved contractors.

Applying for highways authority permission

The form and fee below are for highways authority permission only – they do not cover the other types of permission you may need.

Make sure you read the requirements for areas and distances. If your application does not meet these requirements, it will be refused and your application fee will not be refunded in full.

The application fee is £375. From this amount, we will return to you:

  • £300 if your application is refused
  • £150 if your application is approved and your crossing is constructed to our standard

The charge covers our costs for arranging for highways authority permission only. It includes visiting the site to confirm measurements and for approved applications, inspecting the completed work.

Other permissions you may need

You will need planning permission if you are applying for a dropped kerb:

  • on an A-road, B-road or C-road
  • as part of other changes to a property
  • as part of a new development

Go to our planning applications section for information on permissions and fees.

Your dropped kerb application must include written approval from our Housing service if either:

  • your property is council-owned
  • the proposed crossing passes over council housing-owned land – we can help with this if you are not sure

If the proposed crossing is over a large public green, it may be necessary to consult with residents who may be affected by the works. We will confirm this once we have reviewed your application.

If the property is privately-owned, a wayleave must be granted. You can contact our property team to request this

In some circumstances permission cannot be granted – for example if the access is at a point where visibility is restricted and therefore potentially dangerous.

You must obtain all necessary permissions before employing contractors to construct a crossover.

We also have to find out whether the crossing will affect any utility suppliers. This can take up to 3 months.

If your property is on a road that has a parking restriction in place, then you must pay the cost of any works needed to alter those restrictions. We can advise and give you an estimate of costs.