Local housing allowance


Local Housing Allowance (LHA) gives tenants more choice in where they live, and it's fairer too. This is because:

  • you get the same amount of benefit as people in the same circumstances as you
  • you decide how much of your benefit you want to spend on renting a property
  • you can find out how much LHA you can get before you rent a property
  • if you get LHA you will get your benefit paid to you, it is up to you to pay the rent to your landlord
  • if you are looking for a job you will know how much benefit you are likely to get when you find one
  • you will find out about your LHA quicker than housing benefit

Who can get Local Housing Allowance

LHA is for private tenants who:

  • moved on or after 7 April 2008
  • made a new claim for housing benefit on or after 7 April 2008

Who cannot get Local Housing Allowance

You cannot get LHA if:

  • you are a private tenant who is already getting housing benefit, unless you moved or had a break in your claim after 7 April 2008
  • you are a council tenant
  • you are a tenant of a housing association
  • you are living in bed and breakfast accommodation
  • you live in a caravan, mobile home or house boat
  • your tenancy started before 1989
  • you live somewhere where you are provided with care, support or supervision

LHA may not apply if your rent includes an amount for meals. The Valuation Office Agency decides if this applies to your rent.