News

Taking pride in our coastal path

5 August 2026

The coastal path running from Coalhouse Fort in East Tilbury to Grays has been revitalised and cleaned up, thanks to our contractors Henderson and Taylor. 

A team from the Tilbury based contractor cut back overgrown vegetation on and around the Right of Way and sprayed the road to reduce weeds returning.

Thameside Theatre: the show will go on as bookings continue until at least March 2028

4 August 2026

The Thameside Theatre in Grays will be keeping residents and visitors entertained for at least another 20 months.

It means that the Thameside will remain a haven for arts, entertainment and music with shows being booked up to the end of March 2028.

Cllr George Monk, Cabinet Member for Deregulation, Efficiency and Civic Pride, said: “The Thameside Theatre is a vital local hub for arts and culture, so it is fantastic to know that its immediate future is secure and that it will be booking shows to keep everyone entertained until at least March 2028.

Cracking down on anti-social behaviour in Grays

4 August 2026

A renewed Public Space Protection Order will help make Grays safer by cracking down on anti-social behaviour, including street drinking, abusive language, harassment, spitting and other unacceptable behaviour.

The Grays Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) has been renewed for another three years. It gives the council enforcement officers the power to immediately move on people breaching the order and confiscate alcoholic drinks, nitrous oxide canisters and any other intoxicating substances being used in public.

A Message from the Leader of Thurrock Council

31 July 2026

When I became Leader of Thurrock Council, I made a commitment to restore civic pride across our borough.

For me, civic pride is about much more than how a place looks. It is about how people feel about where they live. It is about creating neighbourhoods that are well cared for, public spaces that are welcoming, and communities where people feel connected, valued and proud to call home.

Court upholds the Council’s Selective Licensing Scheme

29 July 2026

Last week, the High Court again dismissed a judicial review of the Council’s Selective Licensing Scheme and, after a hearing, ruled that the Council’s scheme was lawful. 

The claimant had sought an oral hearing to challenge the High Court’s previous written decision to dismiss the claim on 13 March 2026. The decision in March allowed the Council to start to implement the Scheme.

The court has also ordered the claimant to pay the Council £7,500 in costs, which can now be recovered and used to fund council services.

Council rescinds Climate Emergency and drops commitment to net zero by 2030

28 July 2026

Following a motion at Full Council, Thurrock Council has rescinded the Climate Emergency it declared in 2019 and dropped its commitment to achieving net zero by 2030.

Cllr George Monk, who put forward the motion, said: “It was high time that the council properly recognised that it was impossible for it to achieve net zero in less than four years.

Sign-up for Thurrock News – our monthly email newsletter.

Media Enquiries

Journalists and media professionals can make enquiries from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, 01375 652 017 or at communicationsteam@thurrock.gov.uk.

For emergency media enquiries outside of these times, phone 07912 782 470.

The Communications team email inbox is not monitored outside of office hours, so email media enquiries received out-of-hours may not be answered until the next working weekday.

We advise our staff, when approached directly by a member of the media, not to answer questions themselves but to refer you to the Communications team who will provide our response.

We do not normally comment on individual cases or enquiries relating to council staff.