Personal Independence Payment


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a type of benefit paid by the government.

PIP can help with extra living costs if:

  • you have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • you have difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition
  • you expect the difficulties to last for at least 12 months from when they started
  • you're 16 or over, and under State Pension age if you've not received PIP before

You can get PIP even if you're working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.

There are 2 parts to PIP:

  • a daily living part – if you need help with everyday tasks
  • a mobility part – if you need help with getting around

Whether you get one or both parts and how much you get depends on how difficult you find everyday tasks and getting around.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) must be claimed from the government, not Thurrock Council.

Go to GOV.UK: Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for full details on who is eligible, how to claim and how much you'll get.