Reporting child abuse

What to do if you're worried about a child

Abuse can take different forms.

Common types of abuse are:

  • physical abuse – for example, hitting, punching and burning
  • emotional abuse – this can mean constantly threatening or putting a child or young person down so that they feel unloved and worthless
  • sexual abuse – for example, forcing or persuading a child or young person to take part in any kind of sexual activity, inappropriate touching, kissing, looking at or being involved in pornographic material or videos
  • neglect – not providing enough food, clothing, shelter, education, medical care, or leaving a child alone and at risk

What to do if you're worried

If you're worried at all about a child's safety, act on it.

You can phone, email or write to our Initial Response Team. Phone immediately if you believe it is urgent.

Children's Services initial response
Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH), Civic Offices, New Road, Grays, RM17 6SL

: 01375 652 802


Emergency contact outside of office hours

: 01375 372 468

For use outside of normal office hours:

  • Monday to Thursday, 5pm to 9am
  • Friday, from 5pm through the weekend until 9am on Monday
  • public holidays
Police Child Abuse Team

: 01277 266 822

Phone 999 if you think a child needs immediate protection